Thursday, February 12, 2015

How Would You Teach Mathematics Facts Fluency?

If you aren't a math person, I'm sure you have uttered the words, "I'm not good at math.  I'm never going to get it."

As a passionate math teacher I want to change the mindset of everyone who enters my classroom.  Starting with building the basics of mathematics facts fluency and number sense can instill a great deal of confidence into a student who is struggling.  Once students have a good foundation for these skills they are able to begin to complete more complex math concepts with more ease.  When they have the basics down they do not have to worry about wasting mental energy on computation and can focus on the larger problem.

As I start to research ways to implement the best practice for teaching mathematics facts fluency I am thinking about ways to differentiate the instruction because I have a wide range of students in one classroom.  Some of the approaches would require me to purchase a computer program which is most likely not feasible.

The approach I am leaning towards at this point is called Detect, Practice, Repair.  Click on the link to find out more information about this strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment